Last night, some of the biggest gamers in the world came together to announce the Game Awards. Red Dead Redemption 2 and God of War swept the floor with awards, the Russo Brothers snapped their fingers and halved the nominees, and many games such as Fortnite, Mortal Kombat 11, and Marvel’s Alliance 3: The Black Order released new trailers, content, and previews. So, if you went to bed early, here’s everything that you missed.
- Game of the Year: God of War
- Best Multiplayer Game: Fortnite
- Best Ongoing Game: Fortnite
- Best Action/Adventure Game: God of War
- Best Game Direction: God of War
- Best Sports/Racing Game: Forza Horizon 4
- Games for Impact Award: Celeste
- Best Independent Game: Celeste
- Best Strategy Game: Into the Breach
- Best Family Game: Overcooked 2
- Best Fighting Game: Dragon Ball Fighterz
- Best Debut Indie Game: The Messenger
- Best eSports Player: Dominique “SonicFox” McLean
- Content Creator of the Year: Ninja
- Best VR/AR Game: Astro Bot Rescue Mission
- Best Mobile Game: Florence
- Best Art Direction: Return of the Obra Dinn
- Best Audio Design: Red Dead Redemption 2
- Best Score/Music: Red Dead Redemption 2
- Best Performance: Roger Clark for Arthur Morgan in Red Dead Redemption 2
- Best Narrative: Red Dead Redemption 2
- Best eSports Game: Overwatch
- Best eSports Moment: C9 Comeback Win in Triple OT vs FAZE
- Best eSports Host: Eefje “Sjokz” Depoortere
- Best eSports Event: League of Legends World Championship
- Best eSports Coach: Bok “Reapered” Han-gyu
- Best eSports Team: Cloud9
The Previews, Premieres, and Trailers
- Fortnite Season 7 and The Block: Probably the most anticipated moment of the night, Epic Games revealed some more information about Season 7 and some epic, new content. Season 7, which launched the morning of the show, features a big mysterious iceberg that crashed into the island and brought many different items into the game. Players will explore these items over the next week and also experience “Fortnite Creative” which will launch on December 19th. This is a brand new mode where everyone will be given their own, customizable island to do what they want with. Ultimately, you’ll become a designer and build your own Fortnite within the game. Early access is available now, so get a battle pass and you can join in. Also, during the event, Epic Games placed a giant block over Risky Reels. “The Block” is a new space that will showcase the best and coolest content created by users right in the Battle Royale map. New things will be in the block all the time and therefore, everyone will be updating the game.
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Joker from Persona 5 crashed the Game Awards to announce that he is Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’s first DLC character. The DLCs will feature five characters that each come with their own stage.
- Ubisoft’s Far Cry: New Dawn: During the award show, viewers got to see the world premiere of the game that will bring a beautiful new post-apocalypse to life on February 15, 2019.
- Marvel’s Alliance 3: The Black Order: Viewers got to see the official trailer for the newest Marvel game coming out exclusively for Nintendo Switch in 2019. Be careful though, because Thanos is here waiting for you.
- Mortal Kombat 11: In an epic display of lights, Mortal Kombat 11 disrupted the award for best sports/racing game to show us a trailer and announce that the game will launch globally on April 23.
- Devil May Cry 5: Exclusive new content was shown and a new demo will release on December 7th for Xbox One.
- Crash Bandicoot’s Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled: Crash is back in the driver seat and bringing Mario Kart into the 21st century. The game is expected to release on June 21, 2019 and bring online racing with it.
- The Outer Worlds: From the creators of Fallout comes a new world set at the edge of a galaxy taken over by “the corporation”. Viewers headed to the future and saw a trailer for the game set to release in 2019.
- Atlas: An open-world survival MMO for 40,000 players, Atlas was introduced at the Game Awards. In this game, you build an armada and an empire to conquer the seas and the monsters along the way. Throughout the game, you’ll find biomes from tundras to tropics to the desert, and all types of monsters to match. The game comes to PC next week (December 13) and to Xbox next year.
- Alita Battle Angel: A new clip for the movie set to hit theaters on February 14, 2019, showed audiences an extended battle scene.
- Ancestors: A Humankind Odyssey: Four different clips were shown during the awards that featured actual gameplay. The new game is set in Africa 10 million years ago and players will be able to play each and every ancestor of humankind. Ancestors will be released in 2019.
- Dead by Daylight: Darkness Among Us: Dead by Daylight announced the launch of a new chapter.
- Anthem: Releasing in February, viewers got to see more of the game’s story and the armored superhero set in a fantasy setting.
- Magic: The Gathering – Magic’s Vice President revealed a new e-Sports program that includes both the physical and PC version of Magic: The Gathering. The competitions include $10 million in prizes, and the VP even told audiences to use the code GAMEAWARDS to receive an eSports starter kit.
- Stranger Things 3:The Game: The Duffer Brothers announced the new 16-bit game that follows the events of season 3 and then, they actually disappeared into the game trailer itself.
- Psychonauts 2: A new trailer showed Rasputin leaving summer camp and heading to the organization’s main headquarters, the Mother Lobe, where he must navigate through dark secrets in 2019.
Also, be sure to check out the Nintendo Online Store, PlayStation Store, Xbox Games Store, and Steam for deals on the nominated games from the Game Awards.